An American Classic...Italian Style
Italian Grilled Cheese
- 1 bunch blanched broccoli rabe
- 1 loaf peasant or rustic Italian bread sliced into 10 pieces
- 1/4 pound sliced fennel salami
- 1/4 pound prosciutto thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound fontina grated
- 1/2 pound robiola or other soft cheese (brie or camembert)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise or aioli
- 1 cup store-bought tapenade
- 1 cup pickled jalapenos
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add the broccoli rabe to heat through.
- To assemble the sandwiches, lay out 5 slices and top with the meats and cheeses, the tapenade, aioli, jalapenos, and season with salt and pepper and add the warmed broccoli rabe. Place the top slice on the sandwich and spread with butter. Add the sandwich to the skillet and cook until the cheese is melted and sandwich is hot throughout. 3 minutes per side.