An Italian Favorite from Our Favorite Italian Chef!
Mario Batali's Limoncello
- 4 Cup vodka
- zest of 10 lemons
- 2 1/2 Cup sugar
- 3 1/2 Cup water
- Place vodka and zest in a sealable jar, like a mason jar and allow to sit in a cool place for 4 days.
- On the fifth day place 2 1/2 cups sugar and 3 1/2 cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to cook 5 minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Add sugar solution to the vodka solution and allow to stand overnight.
- Strain through a layer of cheesecloth in a conical sieve, pressing the solids firmly. Strain again through a second layer in the same manner.
- Chill and allow to stand 1 week. Serve very cold.