Share this family recipe are your next family dinner!
Mario Batali's Mama T's Caponata
- 2 medium Eggplants cubed
- 1 bunch Celery diced
- 1 cup Spanish Green Olives chopped
- 4 Yellow Onions sliced
- 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablspoons Capers
- 4 tablspoons Pine Nuts
- 1-2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil more if needed
- Cube 2 medium-sized eggplants into 1/2-inch cubes and place in colander. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a saute pan and add eggplant. Saute until browned, about 3-4 minutes. When the eggplant is cooked, remove from pan and transfer to a plate. Add the celery and onions to the saute pan and cook until onions are slightly translucent.
- Once onions and celery are cooked, add the red wine vinegar to deglaze the pan. When liquid is almost evaporated, return the eggplant to the pan, and add the olives, capers, pine nuts and tomato sauce. Let cook for 5 minutes. It may be slightly dry when ready, if so, stir in a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Serve with toasted or crusty bread of your choice. Mario tip: this is best when it has sit for a day and it should be served at room temperature.