A secret family recipe!
Mom's Chicken with Saffron and Onions
- 1 Large Fryer Chicken (Cut into serving pieces - about 31/2 pounds)
- Salt and Cayenne
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 1 teaspoon Saffron
- 8 cup Julienne Onions (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup Pitted Moroccan Olives
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 3 tablespoon Finely Chopped Cilantro
- 1 Pomegranate separated into seeds
- 1 Scallion (chopped)
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and cayenne.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and brown, cooking for 6 to 8 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken to a plate as it is cooked.
- Add the flour the saffron and the onions. Season again with salt and cayenne. Stirring constantly, wilt and brown the onions, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned particles, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, the bay leaves and the olives. Continue stirring, again scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned particles, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the stock, cover, and reduce the heat to medium. Stir occasionally and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Finish with chopped cilantro, scallions and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.