Mario's peaches in primitivo are the perfect sweet treat - and makes for a great hostess gift.
Peaches in Primitivo
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups Primitivo di Gioia or Other Dry Red Wine
- 4 Peeled and Sliced Peaches
- Black pepper
- 1 clove
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, and red wine, bring to a simmer, and simmer until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Note: Mario did not on-air, but you can add clove if you want. Additionally, just add water if you have over reduced.
- Let cool (and remove the clove if you chose to do that). The syrup can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Peel and slice the peaches, and divide among four footed bowls.
- Pour 1/4 cup syrup over each peach and serve. Note: Mario adds freshly ground black pepper to taste.