This recipe works well with all berries, but I think strawberry is the most delightful. Be sure and only make this when there are local berries around!!!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 ⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups milk
- 1 ⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pound strawberries (hulled and chopped)
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Hull and chop the strawberries
- Whisk the dry milk and 2 tablespoons of the sugar together in a small bowl. Combine the milk and cream in a large heavy- bottomed saucepan and stir in the dry milk mixture. Bring just to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons sugar together in a medium heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture, then return to the saucepan and stir in the condensed milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula or a wooden spoon, until the custard registers 185°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Immediately strain the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a heatproof bowl and chill over an ice bath, stirring occasionally, until cold. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or, preferably, overnight.
- Meanwhile, combine the strawberries, the remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar, and the salt in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Drain the strawberries. Add to the chilled custard, mixing with an immersion blender and breaking up the strawberries. Or transfer the strawberries and custard to a regular blender, in batches, and blend well.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pack the gelato into a freezer container and freeze for at least 3 hours before serving. (The gelato is best served the day it is made.)
Similar categories: Ingredients Fruit Strawberries Courses & Meals Desserts Frozen Desserts Cuisine Italian
Skordalia and Roasted Beets
Rock Shrimp and Egg Sandwich
Apple Tarte Tatin
Buttermilk Semifreddo with Candied Peaches
Cast-Iron Blueberry Cobbler
Green Chicken Enchiladas
Savory Breakfast Cauliflower Bake
Sausage Gravy and Bacon Biscuits
Italian Egg Boat
Waffle Pies with Herbed Eggs
Chai Tea Oatmeal