This recipe works well with all berries, but I think strawberry is the most delightful. Be sure and only make this when there are local berries around!!!
- step-by-step directions
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 ⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups milk
- 1 ⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pound strawberries (hulled and chopped)
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Hull and chop the strawberries
- Whisk the dry milk and 2 tablespoons of the sugar together in a small bowl. Combine the milk and cream in a large heavy- bottomed saucepan and stir in the dry milk mixture. Bring just to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons sugar together in a medium heatproof bowl. Gradually whisk in about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture, then return to the saucepan and stir in the condensed milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heatproof spatula or a wooden spoon, until the custard registers 185°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Immediately strain the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a heatproof bowl and chill over an ice bath, stirring occasionally, until cold. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or, preferably, overnight.
- Meanwhile, combine the strawberries, the remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar, and the salt in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Drain the strawberries. Add to the chilled custard, mixing with an immersion blender and breaking up the strawberries. Or transfer the strawberries and custard to a regular blender, in batches, and blend well.
- Pour the strawberry mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pack the gelato into a freezer container and freeze for at least 3 hours before serving. (The gelato is best served the day it is made.)
Similar categories: Ingredients Fruit Strawberries Courses & Meals Desserts Frozen Desserts Cuisine Italian
The Garibaldi Wallbanger
Swiss Chard and Ricotta Bruschetta
Lobster Roll and Quick-Pickled Cucumber Salad
Spaghetti with Ramps and Pecorino
Black-Eyed Peas and Pimento Cheese Nachos
Pork with Gingered Plums
Spicy Fried Shrimp
Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding
Blackberry Ricotta Pizza
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Peanut Brittle
Peach and Sriracha Chicken Over Coconut Rice