Spice things up with Mario's two-minute calamari!
Mario Batali's Two-Minute Calamari Sicilian Lifeguard Style
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1/4 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup caperberries
- 2 cups basic tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 Lb cleaned calamari (tubes cut into 1/4-inch rounds and tentacles halved)
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 3 Scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup chile pesto sauce
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Set up an ice bath nearby.
- Cook the couscous in the boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain and immediately plunge into the ice bath.
- Once cooled, remove and set aside to dry on a plate.
- In a 12- to 14-inch sauté pan, heat the oil until just smoking. Add the Chile Pesto Sauce, pine nuts, currants, and red pepper flakes and sauté until the nuts are just golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add the caperberries, tomato sauce, and couscous and bring to a boil.
- Add the calamari, stir to mix, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the calamari is just cooked and completely opaque.
- Season with salt and pepper, pour into a large warm bowl, sprinkle with scallions, and serve immediately.