Velvety Smooth Potatoes
Carla Hall and Clinton Kelly's Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 pound Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Milk (Hot)
- White Pepper (to taste)
For the Special:
- 2 Garlic bulbs (roasted)
- 1 1/2 cups Sour Cream
For the Spectacular:
- 1 pound Cheddar Cheese (finely grated)
- 1 1/2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Chile Flakes
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover by at least two inches of water. Bring to a boil over and cook for 20 to 30 minutes or until very fork tender. Drain.
- Allow potatoes to cool slightly and peel. Use a kitchen towel or fork to hold potatoes if too hot. Chunk potatoes and place into a ricer. Press through ricer in a large bowl or pot.
- Stir in butter and whisk in milk. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the Special: Stir in roasted garlic and sour cream. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- For the Spectacular: Preheat oven to 350 F. Transfer potatoes to a baking dish. Toss together the cheddar, panko breadcrumbs, and chile flakes in a bowl and sprinkle over the potatoes. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden and cheese has melted. Serve warm.