Nana's Meatball Soup
There's nothing like Nana's meatballs!
- step-by-step directions
Nana's Meatball Soup
- 3-4 Beef Short Ribs
- 1 pound Chopped sirloin
- 1 1/2 Cups Grated Pecorino Romano
- 1 small bag of carrots
- 4 Stalked of celery with leafy tops
- 1 Large yellow onion
- 1 Small yellow onion
- 1 Bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 cups Diced fresh tomatoes with juice, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup Fresh coarse breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons Milk
- 2 cups Cooked white rice
- 1 box unsalted vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to serve
- French or Italian bread to serve on side
- For the Soup: Heat a large pot of salted water (about 6 quarts).
- Wash the short ribs and add, the peel the two onions and add whole to the water. Sprinkle water with fresh ground pepper and chopped parsley to cover the top of soup.
- Peel and slice the carrots in round slices and add to water. Peel the back of the celery and slice it the same size as the carrots and add to the water.
- Once the water comes to a boil, lower the heat so you have a nice steady simmer. Let this cook for 2 hours.
- For the Meatballs: In a large bowl place chopped sirloin, one egg scrambled with a dash of water and a 3/4 cup of grated cheese.
- Cover meat with fresh bread crumbs that have been moistened with milk and sprinkle with parsley and pepper. Mix gently and wet hands to roll small 1/2 to 3/4 inch meatballs. Adjust seasoning if necessary, add more cheese if they are bland. Set these aside until the soup has cooked for 2 hours. Skim fat off soup as necessary.
- Now remove the short ribs and the onions from pot, dice the onions and return to soup, pull each sliver of beef from the ribs (you may want to sit down for this part) and discard all of the fat and bones. Return beef to soup stir and add 1 meatball at a time. Add the tomatoes stir and simmer for 1 to 2 more hours. Add extra broth if needed.
- To serve stir a tablespoon of white rice into each bowl of soup and sprinkle with grated cheese. Serve with sliced crusty French Bread or Italian Toasted Panella with Extra Virgin Olive Oil seasoned with red pepper seeds, salt and pepper on the side.
Cashew Chicken and Bok Choy
Mediterranean Potato Pancake
Speedy Huevos Rancheros
Braised Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Onions and Egg Noodles
Easy Tiramisu Cake
Grilled Skirt Steak with Charred Tomatillo Salsa
Gluten Free Coconut Pancake
Chickpea and Lentil Curry Over Toasted Pita
Marinated Pork T-Bones
Tuna Noodle Casserole with Potato Chip Topping
California Veggie Burger
Spaghetti Squash Latkes