Get caliente in the kitchen with this stick-to-your-ribs, man-sized Mexican lasagna!
- step-by-step directions
- For the Green Sauce:
- 4 pounds Tomatillos (husked and rinsed)
- 3 4 punce cans roasted green chiles
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups white onion (minced)
- 2 tablepoons cilantro
- Olive oil (drizzle if needed)
- For Assembly:
- 24 corn tortillas
- 1 yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 green bell peppers (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 4 cups jack cheese (grated)
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (tossed in 1 1/2 cups of the Green Sauce)
- To Garnish:
- 1 cup cilantro (stems removed)
- lime wedges
- sour cream
Fried Tortilla Strips:
- 3 corn tortillas (cut into 1/2-inch by 2-inch strips)
- canola oil (to fry)
- Pico de Gallo:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 white onion (minced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (leaves only/chopped)
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 jalapeno (minced)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon slive oil
- For the Green Sauce: to make the green sauce, husk and rinse the tomatillos. Combine the tomatillos, roasted chiles, white onion, cilantro and salt in a food processor, pulsing into a coarse puree. Add olive oil or water if the sauce needs to be loosened. Do this in batches if necessary.
- Assembly: preheat oven to 350°.
- First Layer: in a 9x13 casserole dish, spread a layer of the green sauce. Overlap six tortillas to form a layer.
- Second Layer: toss the 3 cups of shredded chicken with a cup and a half of the green sauce, then spread into an even layer and cover with six more overlapping tortillas.
- Third Layer: pour the drained beans over the tortillas and cover with two cups of the shredded jack cheese in an even layer and cover with six more overlapping tortillas.
- Fourth Layer: in a sauté pan, heat the 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, and add the yellow onion, green bell peppers, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Top the tortillas with the onions and peppers, and then take six more tortillas, and overlap them to cover the onions and peppers.
- Fifth Layer: spread another layer of the green sauce, and then sprinkle two more cups of the jack cheese on top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Garnish with limes, chopped cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, fried tortilla strips and pico de gallo.
- For the Fried Tortilla Strips: heat 1/2-inch of canola oil in a skillet, and fry the tortilla strips until golden brown. Drain on paper towel lined plate, sprinkling with salt to taste while still hot.
- For the Pico de Gallo: toss the cherry tomatoes, white onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, olive oil and salt in a bowl until combined. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary.
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions
Poached Pears with Mascarpone Cream
Apple Cider Donut Bread Pudding
Bella Notte Spaghetti
Ratatouille Tarte Tatin
Corned Beef Sandwich Bread Pudding
Fiesta Corn Dip
Grilled Pizza Margherita
Pickle-Brined Fried Chicken Biscuit
Prosciutto and Apple Stuffed Chicken Legs with Sauteed Swiss Chard
Jalapeno Popper Dip
Chicago-Style Polish Sausage