Get caliente in the kitchen with this stick-to-your-ribs, man-sized Mexican lasagna!
- For the Green Sauce:
- 4 pounds Tomatillos (husked and rinsed)
- 3 4 punce cans roasted green chiles
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 cups white onion (minced)
- 2 tablepoons cilantro
- Olive oil (drizzle if needed)
- For Assembly:
- 24 corn tortillas
- 1 yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 green bell peppers (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can black beans (drained)
- 4 cups jack cheese (grated)
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (tossed in 1 1/2 cups of the Green Sauce)
- To Garnish:
- 1 cup cilantro (stems removed)
- lime wedges
- sour cream
Fried Tortilla Strips:
- 3 corn tortillas (cut into 1/2-inch by 2-inch strips)
- canola oil (to fry)
- Pico de Gallo:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 white onion (minced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (leaves only/chopped)
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 jalapeno (minced)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon slive oil
- For the Green Sauce: to make the green sauce, husk and rinse the tomatillos. Combine the tomatillos, roasted chiles, white onion, cilantro and salt in a food processor, pulsing into a coarse puree. Add olive oil or water if the sauce needs to be loosened. Do this in batches if necessary.
- Assembly: preheat oven to 350°.
- First Layer: in a 9x13 casserole dish, spread a layer of the green sauce. Overlap six tortillas to form a layer.
- Second Layer: toss the 3 cups of shredded chicken with a cup and a half of the green sauce, then spread into an even layer and cover with six more overlapping tortillas.
- Third Layer: pour the drained beans over the tortillas and cover with two cups of the shredded jack cheese in an even layer and cover with six more overlapping tortillas.
- Fourth Layer: in a sauté pan, heat the 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, and add the yellow onion, green bell peppers, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until softened, about 6-8 minutes. Top the tortillas with the onions and peppers, and then take six more tortillas, and overlap them to cover the onions and peppers.
- Fifth Layer: spread another layer of the green sauce, and then sprinkle two more cups of the jack cheese on top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Garnish with limes, chopped cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, fried tortilla strips and pico de gallo.
- For the Fried Tortilla Strips: heat 1/2-inch of canola oil in a skillet, and fry the tortilla strips until golden brown. Drain on paper towel lined plate, sprinkling with salt to taste while still hot.
- For the Pico de Gallo: toss the cherry tomatoes, white onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno, olive oil and salt in a bowl until combined. Check seasonings and adjust if necessary.