Shred this chicken to use in a casserole, on a sandwich, or even over greens.
Mexican Shredded Chicken
- 1 3- pound Chicken (cut into serving pieces; or 2-3 pounds mixed chicken parts)
- 3 Carrots
- 1 White Onion (halved)
- 3 Celery Stalks (cut into large chunks)
- 1 Garlic clove
- 5-6 Black Peppercorns
- 5-6 fresh Italian Parsley sprigs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Kosher or Coarse Sea Salt (or to taste)
- 3 1/2 quarts Water
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, skim off any foam, and simmer, partially covered, for 50 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to a bowl. Strain the broth into a container, cool, and refrigerate. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred or cut the meat into chunks for future use and refrigerate if not using right away.