Stay in and stay warm with Michael's white bean and collard greens soup!
Michael Symon's White Bean and Collard Greens Soup
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/2 pound Sweet Italian Sausage (casings removed and filling broken up)
2 1/2 cups Onion (small dice)
1 teaspoon Chili Flakes
12 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
1/2 pound (1 cup) Dried Navy Beans or Great Northern Beans
1 Bay Lea
- Place a soup pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions with a large pinch of salt. Cook the onions until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Next add the sausage, breaking it up into smaller pieces as you add it to the pot. When the sausage starts to brown, add the chili flakes, and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken stock, dried beans, and bay leaf, and bring the liquid up to a gentle boil. After the soup comes up to a boil, reduce it to a simmer and cook for an hour on medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
- After an hour, add the can of cannellini beans with their liquid. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add all of the collard greens to the pot with a little more salt and pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and grate a good amount of cheese over the top!