Michael Symon whipped together this tasty braised chicken.
Michael Symon's Braised Chicken Fennel and Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Chicken Thighs with Legs attached
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Red Onion wedges
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 bulb Fennel wedges
- 1 bunch Thyme (leaves only)
- 2 springs of Thyme
- 1 tesapoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup White Wine
- 2 cups Water
- Zest and Juice of 1 Orange
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 8 New Potatoes (halved)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hotpot. Sear the chicken until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the chicken from the pot and pour out a little of the excess fat.
- Add the onions, potatoes, and fennel. Michael tip: if you don't like fennel you can use celery. Cook for another 2 minutes. Deglaze with the wine and add the chicken back to the pot. Add the garlic, thyme and chili flakes. Pour over the water and add the bay leaf and a couple more sprigs of thyme. Cover and place in the oven until the chicken is tender, about 30-45 minutes. Michael tip: this is a quick braise but you can do the process with a brisket but it will take 3-4 hours.
- Remove pot from oven when chicken is fully cooked. Finish dish with orange zest and juice, two sprigs of thyme and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with crusty bread.