Finger Lickin' Good
Michael Symon's Braised Short Ribs
- 6 pounds Beef short ribs on the bone
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Celery stalks (coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 1 Onion (coarsely chopped)
- 1 fresno chili (halved)
- 1/2 cup Tomato paste
- 5 Sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 1 Salt-packed Anchovy fillet rinsed
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Head of Garlic (cloves peeled)
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- 2 cup Dry Red Wine
- 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 medium Beets
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Chives (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Drizzle of Olive Oil to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- The day before cooking the short ribs, season them with salt and pepper and refrigerate. The next day, remove the ribs from the refrigerator 30 minutes before you want to cook them. NOTE: you can also use brisket or top round for this dish.
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the short ribs to the pan and cook on all sides until browned, a few minutes for each side. Transfer the ribs to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and ribs.
- Pour off all but 2 or 3 tablespoons of fat from the pan. Add the celery, carrot, onion, garlic and chile to the pan along with a large pinch of salt, and cook over medium heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until glossy, about 2 minutes. Add the thyme sprigs, anchovies and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, wine, and vinegar and bring to a boil. Return the short ribs to the pan, cover, and braise in the oven for 1 hour.
- Lower the oven temperature to 225F and cook for 4 hours, or until the meat is very tender. Remove the ribs to a large bowl and strain the liquid into the bowl. Discard the solids. Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, skim the congealed fat off the liquid and reheat the ribs in the liquid. Remove the ribs to a serving platting and cover to keep warm while you simmer the liquid to reduce it by half. Pour the sauce over the ribs and top them with the pickled tomatoes.
- Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine. Serve on top of braised short ribs. If you want add a grating of horseradish over the completed dish before serving