Try Michael's award-winning burger!
Michael Symon's Fat Doug Burger
- 1/2 Head Napa Cabbage
- 1/2 Clove Garlic (minced)
- 1/2 small Red Onion
- 1/2 Fresh Jalapeno (minced)
- 3 tablespoon Champagne Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon ShaSha Sauce (see steps for ingredients)
- 1/2 Lb Ground Sirloin
- 1/2 Lb Ground Brisket
- 1/2 Lb Ground Boneless Short Rib
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Lb Pastrami (thinly sliced)
- 4 Slices Swiss Cheese (medium thick)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 4 Brioche or Egg Buns (split)
- Prepare the slaw: In a medium bowl, mix together the cabbage, garlic, onion, jalapeno, vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise, sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce and ShaSha Sauce (get recipe for ShaSha sauce here). Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Make the burgers: Build a charcoal fire or heat a gas grill. On a work surface, combine the meats and form the burgers into 4 equal-size patties. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Grill the burgers over high heat until medium rare, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Place 4 heaping piles of pastrami in the pan. After 2 minutes, top each pile with a slice of Swiss cheese. Remove them when the cheese is melted; set aside.
- Pour the butter into the pan. Place the buns in the pan, cut-side down, and toast, about 2 minutes.
- Place a heaping tablespoonful of the slaw on the bottom half of each bun. Top with a burger and a mound of pastrami and cheese. Cover each with the top half of the bun and serve immediately.