Michael Symon's Wife Lizzie's Roasted Chicken
- 1 3- to-4- pound chicken, 1 tablespoon Kosher salt, 1 lemon thinly sliced and seeded, 2 fresh bay leaves, 1/2 small onion peeled, 3 garlic cloves, 1 small bunch of fresh thyme, Pinch freshly ground pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A day before cooking, salt the chicken liberally, cover and refrigerate.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator an hour before cooking it.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lift the skin off each chicken breast and wedge 4 lemon slices and bay leaves between the skin and each breast.
- Put the onion, garlic, thyme and remaining lemon in the cavity of the chicken.
- Sprinkle chicken with more salt and pinch of pepper.
- Rub the entire chicken liberally with the olive oil.
- Put the chicken in an ovenproof sauté pan or in a roasting pan breast side up, slide it into the oven and roast it until the thigh reaches 160 degrees or until the cavity juices run clear, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces and serve.