A Salad Perfect for Any Meal!
Spinach Salad with Fried Egg, Bacon and Mushrooms
- 2 Tspn Extra Virgin Olive Oil (more as needed)
- 8 oz Bacon cut into 1-inch by 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 Shallot (thinly sliced)
- 6 oz Cremini Mushrooms (halved if large)
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock or Water
- 6 Tblspn Balsamic Vinegar (more to taste)
- 4 Eggs (large)
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- 8 oz Fresh Spinach Leaves stemmed (about 8 cups loosely
- Heat a saute pan glazed with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the bacon pieces and saute them until they develop a crispy exterior but remain tender on the inside, adjusting the heat as necessary, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the shallot and saute until it is translucent, another minute or two. Add the mushrooms, and once they begin to soften, after about 2 minutes, add the stock, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan as the liquid comes to a boil.
- Reduce the pan liquid by half. Add the balsamic vinegar, bring to a simmer, and then remove the pan from the heat. Taste the pan sauce looking for a proper balance of fat and acidity. If the sauce taste too fatty, add another dash of balsamic. If it's too acidic, correct it with additional extra-virgin olive oil.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-low heat. Glaze the pan with the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and crack in the eggs, taking care not to break the yolks. Season each egg with a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Fry the eggs gently until the whites are cooked through but the yolks remain runny. Tip: To cook the eggs faster cover pan with another pan.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. Pour the warm dressing, with the bacon and mushrooms over the spinach and toss until the leaves are wilted and coated.
- Divide the spinach salad among four plates and top each with a fried egg. Top dish with a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh cracked black pepper.