The perfect meat lover's meal!
Michael Symon's Steakhouse Porterhouse
- 4- finger Porterhouse
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Head Garlic (split)
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Oregano
- 2- inch Chunk of Slab Bacon
- Coarse Sea Salt to Garnish
- Mix the salt, pepper and sugar, and season steak liberally with the mixture, at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours in advance.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Let steak come to room temperature, and heat a large cast iron pan over high heat and add chunk of bacon to allow fat to render.
- Add the steak and caramelize for 4-6 minutes, then flip steak and add garlic, oregano and 2 tablespoons butter to pan. Caramelize second side for 4-6 minutes, baste with drippings and transfer to oven to roast. Use a meat thermometer to check for desired doneness, about 120F for medium-rare, about 10 minutes of roasting.
- While steak is resting, mix butter with the roasted garlic from the pan, oregano and a large pinch of salt. Baste the steak with some of the pan juices. Spread butter on top of steak. Return to oven to broiler for 4-5 minutes. Serve with pan drippings from melted butter and bacon fat.
- Note: Try serving with creamed spinach and potatoes for a complete steakhouse dinner.