Mini Baked Alaska
This tasty dessert is just the thing for your next dinner party!
- step-by-step directions
Mini Baked Alaska
- For the Pecan Shortbread Cookies:
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Pecans (very finely ground)
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter (chilled)
- 3/4 teaspoon Vanilla
For the Meringue:
- 8 Egg Whites
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon Orange Zest
- 2 cups Superfine Sugar
- 1 pint Chocolate Sorbet
- 1/4 cup Orange Liqueur
- For the Pecan Shortbread Cookies: Whisk flour, sugar, salt and ground pecans in medium bowl to blend.
- Add 1 stick butter and vanilla. Crumble together with fingers until dough resembles peas.
- Form dough into disk and chill for 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch thickness. Use a 2 inch cookie cutter. Place on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes until pale golden. Allow to cool.
- To Assemble: Scoop a small scoop of chocolate sorbet onto each of the cookies. Transfer to the freezer so that sorbet hardens.
- For the Meringue: Using an electric mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and salt on low speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Beating constantly, add the superfine sugar in a slow, steady stream. Add the vanilla and zest and beat on high speed until the egg whites are very stiff. Scrape into a pastry bag and allow to sit no longer than 10 minutes, while you pipe a bit of the meringue on top of each of the scoops of sorbet.
- Sprinkle a few drops of orange liqueur onto each of the meringues and then light the alcohol on fire. It will cook the meringue just enough, while not melting the sorbet. Serve.
BBQ Pork Dumplings
Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs with Shaved Carrot Salad
Kandi's Creamed Corn
Classic German Chocolate Cake
Almond Braised Chicken Thighs with Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Halibut en Papillotte
Cookies and Cream Sweetheart
Linguine with White Clam Sauce
Mardi Gras Baked Alaska