This chocolatey dessert is simply decadent. Try it for yourself.
Mississippi Mud Pie
- For the Brownie Batter:
- 8 ounces Butter
- 8 ounces Bittersweet or Semisweet Chocolate
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
For the Chocolate Pudding:
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 Eggs (separated)
- 2 tablespoons Butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
To Build Pie:
- 2 cups Crushed Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (chocolate cookie part only plus more to garnish)
- 1/4 cup Butter (softened)
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- For the Brownie Batter: Gently melt butter and chocolate together in a glass bowl in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, salt, sugars and vanilla.
- Stir egg mixture into chocolate mixture, and then add flour. Stir just until combined.
- For the Chocolate Pudding: Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, salt, cocoa powder and flour in a medium bowl. Slowly stir milk into dry mixture.
- Put mixture in medium sauce pot and cook until mixture begins to thicken.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl, then briskly stir a small amount of the hot mixture (about 1/2 cup) into this mixture. Add egg yolk mixture back into the hot mixture in top of double boiler and stir in butter and vanilla. Cook until mixture thickens again. Set aside.
- To Build Pie: Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine the crushed chocolate sandwich cookies with the butter until thoroughly mixed. Press into a lightly greased springform pan. Bake for 15 minutes to set the crust.
- Scrape brownie batter into the chocolate crust, forming an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out somewhat clean. Allow to cool slightly, and then pour pudding over the brownie layer, spreading into an even layer.
- Combine the heavy cream and vanilla and whip until peaks form, and use to top the chocolate pudding layer. Garnish with more crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.
Similar categories: Desserts