Dig into this delectable treat!
Carla Hall's Moon Pies
- For the Shortbread Cookies:
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 3/4 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups AP Flour
- 1/4 cup Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups Marshmallow Cream
- 1 tablespoon Orange Zest
- 2 cups Chocolate (chopped)
- For the Shortbread Cookies: In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Combine the flour and cornmeal in a small bowl. Add the vanilla to the creamed sugar, and then add the salt and flour-cornmeal mixture, a little at a time, until a dough forms. Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Form dough into a 1 1/2 inch diameter log and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. Cut 1/2-inch thick slices. Arrange the cookies on a parchment lined sheet tray and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool cookies.
- For the Filling: Stir together the marshmallow cream and the orange zest. Spread a spoonful of the mixture onto half of the cornmeal shortbread cookies, and then sandwich shut with another plain cornmeal shortbread cookie. Repeat with all until you have 12 shortbread sandwich cookies.
- To Assemble: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Prepare a parchment lined sheet tray. Dip each of the sandwiches into the melted chocolate, and then arrange them all on the parchment lined sheet tray. Place tray into refrigerator and chill until the chocolate has set, about an hour.