Mortadella Burgers with Coleslaw and Pickles
Michael Symon and Mario Batali's Mortadella Burger with Shasha Sauce
- 12 jarred Hot Banana Peppers
- 4 Garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 cup prepared Mustard
- 1 cup White Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 4 1/4- inch slices Mortadella
- 4 Sesame Seed Hamburger Buns
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- ShaSha Sauce
- 12 slices Dill or Sweet Hot Pickle
- 2 cups prepared Coleslaw
- 1 1/2 pounds lean Ground Beef
- For the Sauce: Remove tops from peppers and chop. Combine peppers with garlic, mustard and vinegar in food processor bowl and puree. Cook puree and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Whisk together flour and 1⁄2 cup water until smooth. Whisk mixture into pepper mixture; cook until mixture thickens, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat; cool completely. Chill mixture, covered, in a non-reactive container like a glass jar, up to 1 month.
- For the Burger: Preheat grill to 350° to 400°. Shape ground meat into 4 patties, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill; cover and keep warm.
- Cook mortadellla slices in nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 minutes, turning once. Remove from pan; cover and keep warm.
- Toast buns in melted butter in batches, cut sides down, in nonstick skillet about 2 minutes or until golden. Spread bottom of halves of buns evenly with ShaSha sauce. Arrange mortadello, burgers, pickle slices and slaw evenly over buns. Top with remaining buns.