Terry Wolf's Mushroom Barley Risotto
- 1 cup Barley
- 3 cups Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Regular Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons Butter and 1 tablespoon Olive Oil for sautéing Onions
- 1 tablespoon Butter and 2 tablespoons Olive Oil for sauteing Shitakes
- 8 ounces Shitake Mushrooms (sliced)
- 8 ounces White Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup Frozen Baby Peas (defrosted or rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons Marscarpone Cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoons White Truffle Oil (optional)
- Rinse barley.
- Combine stocks and heat to simmer.
- Sauté chopped onions in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. When they start getting soft and transparent, about 5 minutes, add sliced white mushrooms, sauté for approximately 5 more minutes. Add a few turns of fresh black pepper.
- Add barley to coat. Start adding stock, a few ladles at a time waiting for it to absorb with each addition and stirring occasionally. It should take about 40 minutes for all of the broth to be absorbed and the barley to be tender, depending upon the size of the grain. Stir more often during the last 15 to 20 minutes. You will probably have some stock left over. (You can make the above ahead of time and do the below before serving.)
- Sauté shitakes in the remaining olive oil and butter. Add Mascarpone and Parmesan. Add baby peas. Drizzle with truffle oil and serve. (Unlike regular risotto, this can be made ahead of time and reheated – just add a little broth.)