Carla's old-fashioned hamburger joint onion rings are the perfect side! They also taste great on sandwiches, like Clinton's six foot spicy sub!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup club soda
- 2-3 cup Japanese bread crumbs
- Fine salt to taste
- 2-3 medium onions (cut 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings)
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Stir in 1 cup club soda.
- Allow to sit while cutting onions. Mixture will thicken.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a second shallow dish.
- Fill heavy bottom pot with 2” of canola or vegetable oil to 365 degrees.
- Dip onion ring into batter and coat well, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Drop onion rings immediately into hot oil. Brown on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on wire rack over sheet pan and sprinkle immediately with salt.
Spaghetti Squash Latkes
Apple Cider Donuts
California Veggie Burger
Spiced Turkey Meatloaf
Baked Orzo with Turkey Meatballs
Vegan Pumpkin Banana Muffins
Cobb Salad Baked Potato
Kielbasa with Beer and Onions
Jamaican Curry Patties
Sweet Potato, Corn and Wild Rice Enchiladas
Hardy's Hearty Lasagna