Carla's old-fashioned hamburger joint onion rings are the perfect side! They also taste great on sandwiches, like Clinton's six foot spicy sub!
- step-by-step directions
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup club soda
- 2-3 cup Japanese bread crumbs
- Fine salt to taste
- 2-3 medium onions (cut 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings)
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 2 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme.
- Stir in 1 cup club soda.
- Allow to sit while cutting onions. Mixture will thicken.
- Pour breadcrumbs into a second shallow dish.
- Fill heavy bottom pot with 2” of canola or vegetable oil to 365 degrees.
- Dip onion ring into batter and coat well, then coat with breadcrumbs.
- Drop onion rings immediately into hot oil. Brown on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Drain on wire rack over sheet pan and sprinkle immediately with salt.
rate this recipe
Pork Tenderloin with Apricot Dipping Sauce
Wedge Salad with Creamy Blue Cheese and Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
Crunchy Vegetable Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Cedar Plank Halibut with Corn Salad
Sunday Lamb Roast with Paloise Sauce
Vegan Spinach and Artichoke Dip Triangles
Hibiscus and Elderflower Mocktail
Pimm's Royale Punch
Royal Roast Chicken and Bacon Sandwich
Pizza Spring Rolls
Steamed Artichokes with Brie Fondue