Beef Patty Dogs
Ming Tsai's Onion-Burger 'Hot Dogs' with Sweet Chile Relish
- 3 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 2 large Onions (minced)
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Sambal or Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Agave Syrup or Honey
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold Water
- 2 pounds Ground Beef
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 8 Hot Dog Buns
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil is hot, add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and brown, without stirring, 5 to 6 minutes. Turn and brown for another 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer half the onions to a large bowl and cool.
- Meanwhile, add the garlic to the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and sauté, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the red pepper and sauté, stirring, for 30 seconds, then add the sambal and agave, stir, and add the vinegar. Bring to a simmer, whisk in the cornstarch slurry, and simmer until the relish is thickened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Wipe out the skillet.
- Put the beef in a large bowl and add the reserved onions, season with salt and pepper, and combine lightly. Very gently shape the beef mixture into 8 thick ovals the length of the buns, and flatten the tops. Season with salt and pepper. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil is hot, add the beef patties and cook, turning once, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 1 minute more per side for medium, and 1 minute more per side for medium-well.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium pan over medium high heat. When the butter has melted, add half the hot dog buns crumb side down and toast, moving them in the butter, until brown and crisp, about 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and buns.
- Transfer the “hot dogs” to the buns and cover generously with the relish. Transfer to a platter and serve.