Flaky French Cookies
Carla Hall's Palmiers
- 1 package store bought Puff Pastry (thawed)
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar (plus more for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup shaved Semi Sweet Chocolate
- Egg Wash
- Turbinado Sugar for sprinkling
- Gently roll out puff pastry on a lightly sugared surface. Cut the pastry into rectangles, measuring 8 inches on the short side.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1/4 cup of sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar mixture over one rectangle of pastry and the shaved chocolate over another rectangle of pastry. Working from the short edge of a rectangle, gently roll to the center of the dough. Repeat with the opposite side so the rolled side touch in the center. Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat the rolling process with he remaining rectangles and place all on the baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove dough from the freeze and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Slice crosswise, 1/2-inch thick and place cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet, spacing an inch apart. Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until deep golden brown and puffed. Allow to cool before serving.