Julia Child - meet Michael Symon!
Julia Child's Pan Seared Sirloin with Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 1/2 Lb Sirloin Tip Steaks
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cauliflower Gratin:
- 1 head Cauliflower (sliced)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/8 Teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly ground)
- 1/2 Cup Gruyere cheese
- Bernaise Sauce:
- 1/4 Cup Champagne Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup White Wine
- 1 Shallot (minced)
- 1/2 bunch Tarragon (leaves only/chopped)
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 sticks butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- To cook the steak, season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a cast iron skillet, preheated over medium high heat. Sear the steaks on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to hot oven to finish cooking to your liking, about 10 minutes for medium rare.
- Remove steaks from pan, and over medium heat, add the champagne vinegar, white wine, shallots, half of the tarragon, a few cracks of black pepper. Cook until reduced to a few tablespoons and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, whisk into the egg yolks. Add melted butter in a thin stream and continue to whisk. Add the tarragon and whisk until combined and then check seasonings. If too thick, add a tablespoon of wine to thin it out.
- To make the Cauliflower Gratin: Bring a large salted pot of water to a boil. Blanche the cauliflower florets for 5 minutes, until still crisp. Drain to an ice bath.
- In a saucepot, heat the butter over medium heat. Once it has foamed and subsided, add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the hot milk and stir until it comes to a boil. Whisk constantly as the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, and add a pinch of salt, a few cracks of pepper, the nutmeg, and cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour 1/3 of the sauce into a lightly greased 9x9 casserole dish. Add a layer of the sliced cauliflower, and pour the sauce over. Add another layer, and then top with the remaining sauce and then garnish with more cheese. Bake in the 400F oven for 30 minutes until golden brown and bubbling.