Steak with Mushrooms and Onions
Pan-Seared Strip Steak with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions
- 5 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 (8 ounce) strip steaks
- 1/4 pound bacon (sliced 1/2-inch thick)
- 8 ounces button mushrooms (sliced 1/4-inch thick)
- 1/2 onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Take the strip steaks out of the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat a medium-size cast iron pan over medium-high heat and a saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Put the steaks in the cast iron pan and cook 3-4 minutes on each side, or until deep golden brown.
- Take the steaks out of the pan and let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- In the other saute pan, add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add the bacon. Let crisp for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and toss to coat. Let brown for another 2-3 minutes. Add the onions and garlic and season everything with salt and pepper. Toss and cook for 1-2 minutes longer, until the onions begin to wilt. Add the can of beer and bring to a simmer. Allow sauce to reduce by half.
- Turn off the heat, add the sour cream and stir to emulsify. Replace the pan on the heat and bring back up to a simmer. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add the parsley, stir to incorporate, and take the pan off the heat. When the steak is rested, slice and plate. Pour the mushroom sauce over the steak and serve.