Say so long to sliced bread and build this mouth-watering sandwich on a homemade pretzel.
Pastrami Pretzel Sandwich
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 3 pounds pizza dough (room temperature)
- 2 eggs plus 1 tablespoon water whisked
- flakey sea salt
- 1 pound sliced pastrami
- 1 cup sauerkraut (drained)
- 6 slices of Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons German mustard
- dill pickles to serve
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine water and baking soda in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Divide dough into 6 equal portions and roll out into logs, 20 inches long.
- Twist into a tight pretzel with small holes. Repeat with all the dough portions.
- Place one pretzel in the boiling water for a minute and remove with a large slotted spoon of spider. Place on a baking sheet with greased parchment. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or until dark golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Slice pretzels in half like a bagel. Spread mustard onto the top and bottom slices. Top the bottom slice with pastrami, sauerkraut and a slice of cheese. Place on a baking sheet and into the oven to melt cheese slightly. Remove from oven and top with remaining pretzel halves & serve with dill pickles.
- You can purchase pre-made pizza dough at the grocery store or at a nearby pizzeria.