Almond Cheesecake with Shortbread Crust
Carla Hall's Peaches n' Cream Cheesecake
- For the Shortbread Crust:
- 2 cups Almond Shortbread Cookie Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 5 tablespoons Butter (melted)
- Nonstick cooking spray (for greasing)
For the Almond Cheesecake:
- 2 pounds softened Cream Cheese
- 1 1/4 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Almond Extract
- 3 Eggs (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup Plain Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
For the Peaches n' Cream Topping:
- 3 Peaches (cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges)
- 1 Lemon (zest and juice)
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- pinch of Salt
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- For the Shortbread Crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare a 9 inch spring form pan with cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together the crust ingredients until completely incorporated. Press evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely while preparing the filling. Once cooled, wrap the outside and bottom with two pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- For the Almond Cheesecake: Beat together the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the salt and almond extract and continue beating. Beat in one egg at a time, making sure to incorporate fully between each addition.
- Once the eggs are combined, beat in the yogurt and then heavy cream. Mix just until combined. Pour batter over the prepared crust. Smooth to form an even height and place inside a roasting pan. Transfer the pan to the preheated oven. Carefully pour warm water into the roasting pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the spring form.
- Cook until just slightly jiggly in the center, about 75 minutes. Remove from oven and place spring form gently on a cooling rack. Cool to room temperature then move to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Serve each slice with peaches and whipped cream.
- For the Peaches n' Cream Topping: Stir together the peaches, lemon, brown sugar, butter and salt in a saute pan. Cook over medium-low heat until peaches are softened and sugar has caramelized. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving over cheesecake. Whip the cream to very soft peaks just before plating.