Recreate this Italian classic at home with this quick and easy recipe.
Penne alla Vodka
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 6 slices bacon (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch nutmeg
- 2-3 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano (for garnish)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook penne 1 minute short of the package instructions. Drain, reserving some pasta water for sauce.
- In a large saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic and tomato paste and cook until garlic is fragrant and tomato paste begins to caramelize, about 3 minutes more.
- Stir in the vodka and allow the sauce to reduce by half. Add the cream and season with nutmeg and salt to taste. Adjust the thickness of sauce with pasta water as needed.
- Add cooked penne and some reserved pasta water and and toss to coat.
- Serve with a generous sprinkling of Parmigiano-Reggiano.