Whole Wheat Crostini with Shrimp
Laila Ali's Pepper and Shrimp Bruschetta
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 Yellow Onion (diced)
- 1 pound large Shrimp (peeled and deveined; tails off)
- 1/2 Jalapeno Pepper (minced)
- pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Whole Wheat Bread (thinly sliced)
- 4 Garlic cloves (2 whole and 2 thinly sliced)
- fresh Cilantro to garnish
- Salt and freshly cracked Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion and sweat until it begins to soften, and then add the peppers. Add a pinch of salt and cook until peppers are slightly softened.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Cook in the oven until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and scrape garlic over each piece. Set aside.
- Once toast and peppers are prepared, begin the shrimp. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium high heat with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook on the first side for 1 minute. Flip and add the jalapeño and sliced garlic. Cook until the garlic is light golden and shrimp is cooked through, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from pan and roughly chop the shrimp.
- In a large bowl, combine the pepper mixture, shrimp, and cilantro leaves, and toss to combine. Serve over the toasted bread.