Get a taste of Greece with Michael's phyllo pie!
Phyllo Pie from Greece
- 4 pound Spinach (trimmed/washed)
- 3 cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
- 1 cup Dill (leaves only)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 3 cups Feta (crumbled)
- 1 box Phyllo Dough (thawed)
- 1/2 cup Butter (melted)
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the spinach, garlic, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Sauté until spinach has wilted, then remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the pine nuts and toast until golden brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Add the pine nuts to the spinach along with the dill, lemon zest, and feta. Toss until thoroughly combined.
- Butter a 9x9 baking dish. Roll out the phyllo dough and line the inside of the pan with a layer of phyllo. Brush with butter and lay down another layer of phyllo, brushing it again with butter. You should lay down a total of eight layers on the bottom of the pan. Spoon half of the spinach mixture on top, then lay 3 layers of phyllo on top of the spinach, brushing each layer individually with melted butter before laying down. Add the remaining mixture, then add another three layers of phyllo, brushing each individually with melted butter. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbbling. Cool slightly before serving.