Plum Caramel Cake
Carla Hall's Plum Upside-Down Cake
- For the Yellow Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 teaspoons Baking Powder
- pinch of Salt
- 1/2 cup Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/3 cups Buttermilk
For the Caramel:
- 1 pound Plums (sliced into 1/2-inch) wedges
- 6 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dark Rum
- 2 teaspoon finely Grated Ginger
- strained Yogurt to serve
- Powdered Sugar to serve
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale yellow and fluffy. Add one egg at a time incorporating fully between additions. Add vanilla extract and mix until incorporated. In a large bowl mix together the remaining dry ingredients. Beginning and ending with dry mix begin to slowing add flour mixture and buttermilk in an alternating pattern. Mix just until combined, and set aside.
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan lightly with butter, then parchment, and then butter.
- Arrange plum slices in a concentric circle in the pan, allowing some space between them to allow caramel to peek through.
- In a small pot, melt the butter, then add the brown sugar and rum. Whisk, let the sugar melt and get foamy. Stir in the ginger, and then pour over the plums in the cake pan.
- Pour the cake mix over the caramel and plums, and then bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake is set. Allow the cake to cool enough to flip out. Cool on a wire rack completely.
- Slice and serve with strained yogurt and a sprinkling of powdered sugar.