Mushroom and Cheddar Polenta
Mario Batali's Polenta with Mushrooms and Celery
- 4 cups hot Water
- 1 cup Quick-Cooking Polenta
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 2 cups Button Mushrooms (quartered)
- 1 cup Celery (sliced)
- 2 Shallots (sliced thinly)
- 3 Garlic cloves (sliced thinly)
- Chili Flakes
- 1/2 cup White Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- In a medium size sauce pan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Pour the polenta in in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Cook over a medium heat until the polenta is thick like porridge. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large saute pan, heat 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Toss in the celery and season again. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Add in the shallots, garlic, a pinch of chili flake, and season with a pinch of salt. Pour in the polenta and stir to incorporate. Adjust seasonings.
- Add the grated cheddar off the heat. Stir a few times before pouring into a bowl to serve.