Don't make chicken the same way every night - try this dish from Evette!
Pollo a la Nilsa
- For the Dry Rub:
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
For the Chicken:
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon olive oil plus extra
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 medium green peppers (sliced)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 28- ounce can San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
For the Sofrito:
- 1/2 pound green peppers (diced)
- 1/8 pound ajis dulces - could substitute with red bell peppers (diced)
- 1/2 pound spanish onion (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8 leaves culantro - could substitute with cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
For the Green Plantains:
- 3 green plantains
- garlic (minced)
- olive oil
- For the Sofrito: Deseed the green pepper and ajis dulces and put in a blender. Pulse to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until combined. Set aside until needed in recipe.
- For the Dry Rub: Combine the dry rub ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- For the Chicken: Put dry rub on the chicken breasts. In a shallow pan add chicken and some of the sofrito and let it soak for about an hour.
- In a Dutch oven heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add chicken breast. Cook until brown on bother sides. Add the chicken stock, cover an cook for 18-20 minutes.
- In another frying pan cook the green peppers and onions and olive oil.
- Meanwhile in another sauce pot combine the remaining sofrito, crushed tomatoes and the bay leaf.
- Once the peppers and onions are cooked add them to the chicken and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the sofrito tomato sauce to the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
- For the Green Plantains: Cut the end off of the green plantains. Slice down the center and cut into thirds. Peel plantains.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add a pinch of salt. Add plantains to pot and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Strain out water and mash plantains with garlic, olive oil and salt. Put in a bowl and serve with chicken.