Mama T's Polpettas
- 1 large Eggplant (trim ends; cut in half)
- 1/2 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 1 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese (freshly grated)
- Flour for dredging
- Olive Oil for frying
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place the eggplant in a pot of boiling water, skin side down, water not covering but surrounding it. Lower heat, cover and cook until soft. Remove to a colander skin side up and drain well (about an hour). The eggplant will be very soft.
- Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and chop it up until it is reduced to mush. Add the bread crumbs, grated cheese, and salt and pepper. If the mixture is too soft add some more bread crumbs.
- Roll the mixture into balls and dredge in flour. Fry the balls in olive oil until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes