Comfort food to the max. Think: creamy mashed potatoes and succulent pork mixed with a handful of fresh vegetables.
Pork Shepherd's Pie
- 2 pounds Ground Pork
- 3 Carrots (1/4-inch dice)
- 1 large Onion (1/4 inch dice)
- 2 Celery Ribs (1/4 inch dice)
- 3 tablespoons Corn Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled)
- 2-4 tablespoons freshly grated Horseradish
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Begin to saute the pork and season with salt and pepper. Cook until dark golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the carrots, onions and celery to the hot pan, seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir to coat in the pan drippings. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding the corn flour. Cook 2 to 3 minutes more until the flour starts to thicken.
- Deglaze the pan with chicken stock, scraping up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the cooked pork and cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid has mostly evaporated. Add the peas and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Top with the mashed potatoes and place under the broiler. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown on top.
- For the mashed potatoes, place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil and season with salt. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Press the potatoes through a ricer. Whisk in about 1 cup of olive oil. Stir in the freshly grated horseradish and season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired.
Similar categories: Ingredients Vegetables Pork Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions St. Patrick's Day