All French fries are good, but these are delicious. A different take on a classic!
Portobello Fries with Mustard Dipping Sauce
- For the Mushroom Fries:
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 5 portabello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup panko
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- For the Mustard Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon chives (finely chopped)
- For the Mushroom Fries: Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the gills and stems from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the edges off. Slice into 1/2-inch strips.
- Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate or bowl, combine panko, Parmesan cheese, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Place the eggs in a third bowl.
- Dredge the mushrooms in flour, followed by the egg wash, letting excess drip off, and finally in the panko.
- Working in batches, place the breaded mushroom slices in the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray.
- For Mustard Dipping Sauce: Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.