If a latke and a doughnut got together, then this savory, yet sweet delight would be the result.
- step-by-step directions
- 1/2 pound Russet Potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 2 large Eggs
- 3 - 4 cups All-Purpose Flour (or as needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus 4 cups for deep-frying)
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Red Vermouth
- grated zest and juice of 1 Orange
- Granulated Sugar (for dusting)
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil gently until tender. Drain and pass through a food mill or ricer into a large bowl. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the milk over low heat just until warm. Remove from the heat, sprinkle the yeast into the milk, and let sit for 15 minutes, or until foamy.
- Add the eggs, flour, salt, sugar, the 1/4 cup olive oil, the vermouth, and orange zest and juice to the potatoes and mix well to combine. Add the yeast mixture and knead well, adding a little more flour if necessary if the dough is very sticky. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each one into a 1 1/2-inch-thick rope. Cut each one into 5-inch lengths and form into little doughnuts. Place the doughnuts on a well-oiled baking sheet, cover with a towel, and let rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled.
- In a deep pot, heat the remaining 4 cups olive oil to 340 degrees. Working in batches, fry the doughnuts until golden brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle generously with granulated sugar while hot and serve warm.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Desserts Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Holidays & Occasions Christmas Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Desserts
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bark
Shrimp with Sherry Cream Sauce
Bone Broth Lentil Soup
Asian Chicken Meatball Sub
Nashville Hot Fish with Hushpuppies
Braised Pork Chilaquiles
Autumn Pinata Cake
Bundt Pan Lasagna
Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Gremolata
Fall Harvest Hungarian Goulash
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curried Yogurt and Scallions