If a latke and a doughnut got together, then this savory, yet sweet delight would be the result.
- step-by-step directions
- 1/2 pound Russet Potatoes (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 2 large Eggs
- 3 - 4 cups All-Purpose Flour (or as needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (plus 4 cups for deep-frying)
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Red Vermouth
- grated zest and juice of 1 Orange
- Granulated Sugar (for dusting)
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil gently until tender. Drain and pass through a food mill or ricer into a large bowl. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat the milk over low heat just until warm. Remove from the heat, sprinkle the yeast into the milk, and let sit for 15 minutes, or until foamy.
- Add the eggs, flour, salt, sugar, the 1/4 cup olive oil, the vermouth, and orange zest and juice to the potatoes and mix well to combine. Add the yeast mixture and knead well, adding a little more flour if necessary if the dough is very sticky. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each one into a 1 1/2-inch-thick rope. Cut each one into 5-inch lengths and form into little doughnuts. Place the doughnuts on a well-oiled baking sheet, cover with a towel, and let rise for 45 minutes, or until doubled.
- In a deep pot, heat the remaining 4 cups olive oil to 340 degrees. Working in batches, fry the doughnuts until golden brown, about 5 minutes per batch. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Sprinkle generously with granulated sugar while hot and serve warm.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Desserts Appetizers, Starters & Snacks Holidays & Occasions Christmas Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Desserts
Calaloo: Crab and Coconut Spinach Stew
Cassava in Coconut Sauce (Mahogo Wa Nazi)
Carbonara with Pecorino Frico
Fried Salami and Fontina Frittata
Sparkling Ice Black Raspberry "Faux-jito"
Mini Bean Tostadas with Marinated Vegetable Skewers
Yogurt Panna Cotta with Blood Orange Salad