Fennel, Potato and Gruyere Gratin
Ina Garten's Potato-Fennel Gratin
- 2 small Fennel Bulbs
- 1 Yellow Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Good Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 2 pounds Ruesset Potatoes (4 large potatoes)
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 2 1/2 cups Gruyere Cheese (grated) (1/2 lb)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter the inside of a 10 x 15 x 2-inch (10 cup) baking dish.
- Remove the stalks from the fennel and cut the bulbs in half lengthwise. Remove the corners and thinly slice the bulbs crosswise, making approximately 4 cups of sliced fennel. Sauté the fennel and onions in the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat for 15 minutes., until tender.
- Peel the potatoes, then thinly slice them by hand or with a mandolin. Mix the sliced potatoes in a large bowl with 2 cups of cream, 2 cups of Gruyere, salt, and pepper. Add the Sautéed fennel and the onion and mix well.
- Pour the potatoes into the baking dish. Press down to smooth the potatoes. Combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream and 1/2 cup of Gruyére and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, until the potatoes are very tender and the top is browned and bubbly. Allow to set for 10 minutes and serve.