A traditional Irish soup for St. Patrick's Day!
Clinton Kelly's Irish Potato and Leek Soup
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 2 Leeks (washed and sliced)
- 1 Onion (diced)
- 2 stalks Celery (chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 2 cups Milk
- 4 cups Chicken Stock
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 tablepsoons Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- For the Croutons:
- 4 slices Country Bread (toasted golden brown)
- 4 thin slices Irish Cheddar Cheese
- To Serve:
- 1 cup Bacon (fried crisp and chopped into small pieces)
- In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, leeks, celery, and garlic, and cook until all have softened and become fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the stock, milk, bay leaf, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the parsley and half and half. Allow to cool slightly. In batches, puree in a blender.
- To make croutons, preheat broiler and place cheese slices on toasted bread. Broil until cheese is melted and browned in spots, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve soup with Irish Cheddar Croutons and sprinkled with bacon.