Layers of uber moist pumpkin cake sandwiched between, mascarpone filling, and covered in a decadent ganache. Oh my!
Pumpkin Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 large Eggs
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Pumpkin Puree
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin Spice
- 2 cups Mascarpone
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree, strained of excess liquid
- 2 teaspoons Salt
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 3 tablespoons Corn Syrup
- 6 ounces Heavy Cream
- 12 ounces Dark Chocolate, chopped into small bits
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Ginger Snaps, crushed for garnish
- Grease and Flour two 9-inch round layer cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine Sugar, Vegetable Oil, and Eggs in a large mixing bowl and mix well. Whisk dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Stir the dry into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the Pumpkin Puree.
- Divide batter between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Rotate pans half way through cooking. When a toothpick comes out clean, the cakes are done. Let cool for 5 minutes and then turn cakes out onto cooling racks.
- While the cakes are cooking make the filling.
- Beat the Mascarpone and the Pumpkin Puree until blended then add the Pumpkin Spice, Salt and Powdered Sugar. Mix at a high speed until blended (about 1 minute). Once it's fully combined add the Vanilla and beat for another 30 seconds.
- Once the cakes have cooled completely, cut through each cake horizontally with a serrated knife (there will now be four round of cake to work with).
- Spread the filling evenly between the layers (3).
- Once assembled, transfer cake to a cake stand with parchment paper lined around the edges (to keep the cake stand clean).
- Make the Ganache in a small saucepan. Combine the Corn Syrup and Heavy Cream and bring to a simmer. Add the Chocolate and stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and add the Vanilla Extract. Pour over the cake.
- Garnish with Crushed Ginger Snaps. Once the Ganache is set, remove the parchment.