Pumpkin Soufflee with Fontina Sauce
Mario Batali's Pumpkin with Fontina Fonduta
- For the Sformato:
- 1 pound Wedge of Pumpkin
- 2 cups Balsamella Sauce (ingredients follow)
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano; plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg (freshly grated)
- 1/4 cup fresh Breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Funduta (ingredients follow)
For the Balsamella Sauce:
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
For the Funduta:
- 4 ounces Fontina Cheese (grated)
- 3/4 cup Heavy Cream
- Egg Yolk
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- For the Sformato: Preheat oven to 375 F. Wrap pumpkin in foil and bake 1 hour. Remove, leaving on, and allow to cool.
- Peel pumpkin, cut into 1-inch cubes and place in food processor. Add balsamella, yolks, eggs, 1/4 cup Parmigiano, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and process into a smooth puree.
- Lightly butter a 6- to 8-inch Bundt pan and dust with bread crumbs. Pour batter into Bundt pan and set inside larger baking pan. Fill half way with warm tap water, place in oven, and bake about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in center comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the sformato into 2-inch slices and arrange a slice on each plate. Drizzle with the fonduta and serve.
- For the Balsamella Sauce: Heat the milk in a small saucepan on medium-low, bringing it just to the boiling point, when it begins to form small bubbles. While the milk is heating, melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Blend in the flour and then stir constantly for about 2 minutes without allowing the mixture to color, to form a roux.
- Remove from the heat and once the roux has stopped bubbling, add the hot milk, very slowly at first, allowing each small addition of milk to become incorporated before adding more. Continue to add the milk while vigorously whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Return the pan to the stove and warm the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking without interruption while adding the salt and nutmeg. Continue whisking until the sauce thickens to the consistency of heavy cream.
- For the Funduta: Heat the heavy cream over medium heat. Stir in the grated fontina, mixing until smooth, then season with salt and pepper. Off heat, whisk in the egg yolk and parmigiano.