This seasonal dish is a great addition to any meal.
- step-by-step directions
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pumpkin or butternut squash puree or canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unbleached (all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup grated Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus more for garnish
- finely ground black pepper (to taste)
- olive oil (for frying)
- good balsamic vinegar (for garnish)
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
- If you are using a fresh pumpkin cut the pumpkin and scrape out the seeds and stringy bits. Rub the inside with olive oil (or softened butter), and season with salt. Place cut side down on a sheet tray lined with parchment and cook until soft, about 40-45 minutes. Scrape out the puree and toss the skins.
- Place the pumpkin puree in a medium bowl. Lightly beat the eggs with a fork and stir them into the pumpkin with a wooden spoon or spatula. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the puree mixture, along with the grated cheese, the parsley, nutmeg and a pinch of black pepper. Use the wooden spoon or fork to combine all the ingredients in to a light batter; be careful not to over mix it.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Fill pot no more than 2/3rds of the way full, allowing room for the oil to expand. Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the batter until the fritters are golden brown. Fry in batches, cooking for about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain the fritters on paper towels and serve hot. Garnish with Parmigiano, parsley and balsamic.
Similar categories: Courses & Meals Breakfast & Brunch Desserts Muffins, Scones, Coffee Cakes & Other Sweet Breads Holidays & Occasions Thanksgiving Other Side Dishes
Grilled Lamb Chops and Plums with Mint Pesto
Red Velvet Cannoli Cake
Grilled Soy Chicken Thighs with Honeydew Relish
Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs
Banana Split Ice Cream Cupcake Bar
T-Bone Steak with Green Bean Salad
Lamb Ribs with Shaved Asparagus, Mint and Feta Salad
Grilled Japanese Eggplant with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Vegetable Lo Mein
Shrimp Summer Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce