Pumpkin Pie Bites
Catherine McCord's Pumpkin Pie "Pop Tarts"
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 2 tablespoons packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Flour (for rolling out dough)
- 1 package pre-made Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie crust to 1/4-inch thick and, using a pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter, cut out about 20 pumpkin shapes. To make faces on your pumpkins, use a paring knife to cut out triangle eyes and a zigzag mouth on half of the pumpkins.
- Place one pumpkin (without a face) on a lightly floured work surface and place 2 teaspoons of the filling in the center. Lightly dip your index finger into a cup of water and “brush” the border of the dough with the water. This will allow the 2 sides of the dough to adhere to one another. Top with a cutout pumpkin (with a face) and lightly press the edges together. Repeat to make the rest of the pumpkin tarts.
- Place the tarts on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes, or until golden. Set the tarts aside to cool. To freeze: after assembling all of your tarts, place them on a baking sheet and freeze for 1 hour. Place the tarts in a ziplock bag, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. To bake, follow the baking instructions and add an extra 2 minutes to the baking time.