Carla Hall's "It's The Great Pumpkin (Strudel) Charlie Brown"
- 1 15- ounce can of Pumpkin Puree
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cloves
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 12 sheets Frozen Phyllo (thawed)
- Melted Butter (for brushing)
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Cinnamon
- 1 cup toasted Pecans (chopped)
- 1 8- ounce package Cream Cheese (divided into 12 pieces)
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400. In a small bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In another small bowl combine the granulated sugar and the cinnamon.
- Brush one sheet of phyllo with melted butter and lay another sheet of dough on top. Brush generously with melted butter. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with a damp dish towel to prevent it from drying out). Sprinkle a generous 2 tablespoons of cinnamon-sugar mixture over the brushed phyllo. Sprinkle with about 2 tablespoons of pecans.
- Cut the phyllo lengthwise to create two long strips. Place a slice of cream cheese about 2 inches from the end of each dough strip. Spoon 1 to 2 well rounded tablespoon of pumpkin mixture on top of the cream cheese (do not overfill or the phyllo will burst when rolled).
- To shape, fold the edge closest to the cheese/pumpkin mixture up and over the filling. Fold in sides and roll up to encase filling. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down. Brush with some of the melted butter and top more sugar and nuts. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving with whipped cream. Note: You can use 2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice in place of the other spices.
Similar categories: Desserts