Daphne Oz's Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
- For Daphne's Stew:
- Olive Oil
- 1 Red Onion (finely chopped)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 7 Carrots (thinly sliced coins)
- 2 Celery Ribs (finely chopped)
- 3 Garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 cups Red Lentils (rinsed)
- 2 teaspooons Cumin Seeds (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (toasted and ground)
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Chili Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 6 cups Water
- 1 Sweet Potato (peeled and finely diced; about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch Black Kale (finely shredded)
For Mario's Croutons:
- 1 cup Goat Cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup Spicy Mango Chutney
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- Olive Oil
- 1 piece of Focaccia Bread (cut into wedges)
- For Daphne's Stew: In a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat, add about 4 tablespoons of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering and hot, add the onion. Season with salt and saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for 3 more minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Add in the rinsed lentils and cook for about 2 minutes, toasting in the oil. Add the cumin seeds, coriander, chipotle chili falkes, and turmeric, and continue to toast for another minute, or until fragrant. Add the water and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a very low heat and gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Then, carefully stir in the sweet potato and kale. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked through but not mushy.
- Once cooked, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- For Mario's Croutons: Preheat the oven to broil. Mix together the goat cheese, mango chutney, curry powder, and about 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Smear the focaccia pieces with about 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese mixture and place them on a baking sheet. Put under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let cool slightly. Serve the croutons with the stew.