This hearty dish is just the thing for dinner tonight.
Red Wine Braised Brisket
- 6 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 pounds Beef Brisket
- 2 Spanish Onions (1/2 inch dice)
- 1 Carrot (1/2 inch thick rounds)
- 2 Celery Stalks (1/2 inch thick slices)
- 4 ounces Pancetta (1/4 inch dice)
- 2 cups Barolo or other hearty red wine
- 2 cups Basic Tomato Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup parsley (chopped)
- 2 lemon (zest)
- salt and pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over high heat until smoking. Season the meat liberally with salt and pepper.
- Sear in the pan for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Add the onions, carrot, celery and pancetta and cook until the vegetables are light brown and starting to soften, about 8 minutes.
- Add the wine and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. Cook until the meat is very tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a festive platter.
- Topping: Make a gremolata by combining the lemon zest, chopped parsley and salt and pepper.
- Bring the cooking liquid from the brisket to a boil and reduce to 2 1/2 cups. Season with salt and pepper, pour over meat and serve immediately. Top with gremolata.