Michael Symon's Rescued Rib Eye
Steak with Shallots and Mushrooms
Rescued Rib Eye Recipe: Serve this tender rib eye for company or for a daily dinner.
- 1 Ribeye Steak (2-inch thickness)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt (plus more for mushrooms)
- Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter (plus more to serve or beef tallow)
- 3 sprigs Rosemary tied with 1 small bunch Thyme
- 1 pound Wild Mushrooms or Button Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 small Shallots (quartered)
Jenny McCarthy Heats Up The Kitchen - 1
1 Ribeye Steak (2-inch thickness)
1 tablespoon Kosher Salt (plus more for mushrooms)
The night before, season the steak generously on both sides with salt. Remove your steak from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking. Preheat oven to 400F. Drizzle steak with olive oil.
2 tablespoons Butter (plus more to serve or beef tallow)
3 sprigs Rosemary tied with 1 small bunch Thyme
1 pound Wild Mushrooms or Button Mushrooms
2 small Shallots (quartered)
Preheat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the the rib eye and cook until it is very dark golden brown on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook second side for another 2 to 3 minutes until it has a nice crust. Add 2 tablespoons butter or fat, the herb bundle, the mushrooms, shallots, a generous pinch of salt and transfer to oven for 5 to 10 minutes to finish cooking steak to desired temperature. Remove steak from pan and rest steak 10 minutes before serving.
1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
Meanwhile, finish the mushrooms by drizzling with red wine vinegar and a pat of butter. Slice steak and serve with mushrooms.
1. Rib eye cuts with a lot of deckle are generally more flavorful.
2. You could prepare this meal with any cut of beef. If you use skirt steak, slice it against the grain to keep it from being too tough.
3. The thicker the steak, the more salt that's needed to season.
4. Adding some vinegar to the pan cuts through the richness of the fat from the steak.
5. For crispier mushrooms, don’t overcrowd the pan because they release moisture the minute they start cooking.
6. You can use any kind of mushroom in this recipe.