Steak with Shallots and Mushrooms
Michael Symon's Rescued Rib Eye
- 1 Ribeye Steak (2-inch thickness)
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt (plus more for mushrooms)
- Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter (plus more to serve or beef tallow)
- 3 sprigs Rosemary tied with 1 small bunch Thyme
- 1 pound Wild Mushrooms or Button Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 small Shallots (quartered)
- The night before, season the steak generously on both sides with salt. Remove your steak from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking. Preheat oven to 400F. Drizzle steak with olive oil.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the the rib eye and cook until it is very dark golden brown on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook second side for another 2 to 3 minutes until it has a nice crust. Add 2 tablespoons butter or fat, the herb bundle, the mushrooms, shallots, a generous pinch of salt and transfer to oven for 5 to 10 minutes to finish cooking steak to desired temperature. Remove steak from pan and rest steak 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, finish the mushrooms by drizzling with red wine vinegar and a pat of butter. Slice steak and serve with mushrooms.
Similar categories: Dinner